Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hello there

Hi everybody,

It has been a week since I last posted and it's about time for an explanation for my absence.

Last Thursday, I found myself suddenly and inexplicably denied internet connectivity. This was quite mysterious as my modem seemed to be working fine and my computer showed that I was online.

Comcast seemed to be unable and unwilling to help, so after trying to diagnose and repair the situation on my own - with no luck- I called some friends who are IT pros and picked their brains.

After a fair bit of doinking around, it became apparent the there was some sort of unidentified network set up on my computer. While I was unable to dial up anywebsites, this network was chugging away, pumping data through my system.

The consensus was that a reformatting was in order. I spent a good day or so backing up and early Saturday morning I reformatted. This should reset everything back to normal, right?

Wrong. When I rebooted, I found that I had no local area connection, no Network 3 to hook up to the internet - nothing. It was as if whatever had hijacked my system took a big chunk of it away when I removed it, not even leaving a bloody socket or stump.

My computer is now a glorified MP3 player and I have to live with that for now. I could have it fixed, but the quoted prices, just to get me in the door, would have me well on my way to a brand new rig. As I am a bit tight on funds right now - it's the offseason in my business and it has been a noticably bad year - any timetable for my return to Uncertain Times is a big unknown. I'm shooting for the spring, but would resume sooner, probably after the new year, if my fortunes were to turn in a positive direction.

To be frank, I'm kind of enjoying being disconnected. My brain is dialing down a bit, and even in this short of a period of time I am enjoying reading real books and catching up on my life in meatspace. It's a refreshing change. I spent a great deal of my spare time on this blog.

I won't deny that there was a degree of separation anxiety. The first three days were the worst. I still dream about blogging, but the dreams have ceased to be the Hitchcockian nightmares they were early on. This is not a cop-out to pull away - I miss it terribly.

I will certainly miss those of you who read, commented, supported and communicated with me over these last few months. You folks are truly the best part of the experience.

But this is not goodbye, or even farewell... it's more like: Hold on... I'll be back as soon as I can.

I have recently acquired a pda that I can check my email with, so feel free to drop me a line. Once I get the hang of this thing, I'll be Tweeting now and again and even making attempts to post with it. (Right now, I have difficulty staying on for more than 30 minutes at a time, but that will pick up after a while.) Regardless, I'll be popping in here at least once a month or so with updates, so keep an eye out.

Later, all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because of the convenience, I am attached to my internets, but honestly, I wish I was in your position. When I lived in North Carolina I was nets-less...I filled up notebooks, made lists of questions, and when I did get a chance to hop online, I was focused and efficient. I'd go to the local college computer lab, print out a few hundred pages of articles, and return home to repeat the process.

I learned more, I was less distracted, and honestly I was more "present" and conscious for the whole process. So amen - a blessing in disguise, you're a lucky dude.

Minnesotastan said...

Good luck and best wishes. We'll be waiting for your return.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, John for the update. I am glad to hear it wasn't illness or something of that nature. Sorry about the computer problems, enjoy reading real books! That's something all us bloggers gotta do more of, me thinks.

Jen Jordan said...

Well, damn the hackers to hell and back!

The Nag said...

My heart is broken!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your cool site... hope you get back up and running soon.

Anonymous said...

Thx for all the fish and see you around, I've enjoyed coming here daily.

Gery

Anonymous said...

John, I only recently discover your blog thru Twitter. I will miss your posts.
You may wish to explore buying a refurbished machine on EBay. A tech friend of mine does that all the time. It a lot cheaper than new and usually pretty reliable.

John M. said...

Thanks everybody, but I am back and pretty stoked about it.

I've enjoyed life in meatspace. I finished four books since the 13th and I look to maintain some kind of balance between my online and offline realities.

In the meantime, let the posting begin!