Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Flag













Jasper Johns. (American, born 1930). Flag. 1954-55 (dated on reverse 1954). Encaustic, oil, and collage on fabric mounted on plywood, three panels (MOMA)

"One night I dreamed that I painted a large American flag," Johns said, "and the next morning I got up and I went out and bought the materials to begin it."

via hyde or die
via jillsies

A message for America in Uncertain Times: For better or worse, we are all Americans. Dream, get up, go out and get on with it.

Now, let's see whatcha got, President-Elect Obama.

I must also say that in my lifetime, I have never witnessed such a childish and irrational display of partisan hatred during any presidential campaign. It was embarrassing and those involved should be ashamed, on both sides. We've had to endure countless petty, ad hominem attacks in a seemingly endless campaign that, in many ways, has left me weary and disgusted.

One can only hope that the gracious examples set by both candidates tonight might inspire us to rise above our juvenile impulses to demonize our fellow human beings. If we really want change, we could start with a little class and decorum and stick to the issues. I applaud both Senator McCain and President-Elect Obama for not sinking to, or even approaching the level of a sizable number of their supporters.

No comments: