Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ianthe and Richard Brautigan
















photograph by Edmund Shea

This is a cropped (cropper unknown) image from the cover of Trout Fishing in America, The Pill versus the Springhill Mine Disaster, In Watermelon Sugar New York: Delacorte Press/Seymour Lawrence, 1969.

I saw Richard Brautigan speak at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo, NY, some time in October of 1981. I don't remember much about what he said, but I enjoyed his books and was happy to have had the chance to see him while I was passing through.

I remember the Q&A afterward quite clearly. I usually don't ask questions at lectures and readings, but I wanted to know something about his writing process. I asked him if he wrote more 'stream of consciousness' or if he did a lot of rewriting. Innocent enough question. He got rather bent out of shape about it, exclaiming that he was a professional and a craftsman and worked very hard at it. It got personal.

His overt defensiveness seemed to indicate some serious personality issues and arrive from an ongoing thought-stream where these sorts of questions were posed before, likely with deprecatory insinuations. Sad thing is, I agree with him, as I am all for taking pains, rewriting and craftsmanship. I certainly hit a sore spot and paid the price for it. One of my favorite writers slammed me and he had completely misconstrued my intentions. I don't like to admit it, but I never read anything by Richard Brautigan after that.

An Interview with Ianthe Brautigan
Brautigan Bibliography and Archive
for the thumb there's the Richard Brautigan wiki

via the always intriguing benhästen

No comments: