Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The art of Jonathan Blum


















Jonathan Blum is a long lost buddy from my New Orleans days and I'm quite pleased to find him alive and well and in great form.

One of Jonathan's monoprints graced the cover of On the Spot, a magazine I published back in 1990. He was an inspiration and turned out to be one of the few that volunteered help to actually come through.

In 1991, I acted in A Typical Conversation in a Chinese Restaurant, a play that he wrote and directed and one of the most strenuous and memorable productions of my modest theatrical career. The set was designed as a Chinese restaurant and we ate hot food every night served by a waiter. The performance space was an old and rather large warehouse in the same building as Mona Lisa, a Turkish pizza joint in the French Quarter. We filled the house every night, even though it was a pick-up show done on our own impetus, with a minimal budget.

I can't remember the name of my character, but he was a guy about twice my age who at the end of the play has a complete emotional blowout and storms off the set, raging through the audience. It was one of the few roles I played that bled over into my real life. My girlfriend at the time was most relieved when that show was over.

Now that I have found good Jonathan, I hope to establish contact again and I hope you enjoy his wonderful artwork.

No comments: