Tuesday, September 2, 2008

All eyes on Hanna...















Now that Gustav has done his worst and New Orleans is in the clear, our attention is drawn to a lady named Hanna.

Although the storm has tracked a bit to the east, putting Savannah on the western edge of the projected path, we are still watchful. Hurricanes are unpredictable and can do crazy things at any moment.

Georgia has been very fortunate as far as hurricanes and tropical storms go. If you look at the map, you'll see that the Georgia coast is the westernmost piece of coastline along the Eastern Seaboard. Big storms tend to miss our little nestle and barrel right on up and slam the Carolinas.

Some say that we're blessed, some say that Gullah and Geechee Voodoo keeps the storms away. We'll gladly take all the help we can get, but regardless, candles, water, food, batteries and a new radio are in order for tomorrow's shopping list. I'm on relatively high ground, I have an upper floor in my apartment and my first floor is almost six feet up, so I'm not too worried about flooding. It would have to be an extreme event for me to take water. I am worried about a large, slouching tree in my yard. Lots of loose lumber up there and it's leaning right over me.

image from the National Hurricane Center

No comments: