Saturday, June 28, 2008

What We Can Learn From Buckminster Fuller


















As you might have noticed, I'm a total geek for Buckminster Fuller. I'm reading Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth again this weekend and I really enjoyed this Wired photo essay.

The above image is one of his wackier ideas:

To construct one of his Lightful Towers, Fuller imagined that one airship would first drop a bomb and create a hole in the ground, then a second airship would drop the building into the hole. The stacked apartment unit would be sealed into the ground with cement and ready for use.

There is a more human, even somewhat darker side to the Fuller mythos that was brought back to mind by the comment on the above post and was hinted at in a recent New York Times article. We'll be exploring this side of dear old Bucky in the offing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should check out the exhibition at the Whitney Museum that inspired the story:

http://www.whitney.org/www/buckminster_fuller/about.jsp

John M. said...

Hi,

Thanks for stopping by.

I've had a good look at it. I wish I could go in person.

I might be able to in August. Have you been?