Saturday, August 30, 2008

Holmesfest '08


















A portrait of Sherlock Holmes by Sidney Paget from the Strand Magazine, 1891. image: Wikipedia

On August 29, 2005, I was monitoring the fate of New Orleans as Katrina was doing her worst. At the same time, I had starting reading The Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes. I had always resisted the Holmes stories and I don't know why I gave in, but the combination of these two events has prompted me to maintain the tradition every year since, starting on August 29th. I have fallen in love with these tales and the events of that first year color the ongoing experience with strange emotional connotations. This is my fourth year and, funny enough, I'm once again keeping an eye on the fate of the town I still call home while I read these wonderful stories. Few of you probably give a crap about this, but I thought I'd share it just the same, as this might lead to some days of light posting, though I'll try to keep up.

More illustrations from the Strand Magazine by Sidney Paget and other Holmesiana can be found at 221B Baker Street.org.

This year, I am also armed with this valuable resource.

No comments: